Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation by 10 percent by 2020. For more information click here.
- Our Security Staff uses Global Electric Motorcars and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- We use green cleaning products at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented new lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- Our center has a recently upgraded HVAC system that minimizes our energy usage and lowers our carbon footprint.
- We recycle cardboard, glass, plastic, used light bulbs and used paint.
- All offices have motion sensors installed. We are now expanding into tenant storage rooms as some of these are on 24-hours a day.
- We use HVAC filters that meet green building standards and eco-friendly paint.
- HVAC and indoor/outdoor lighting schedules have been adjusted to help save energy while still offering a comfortable and appealing shopping atmosphere.
- All public restrooms have automated sinks, paper towels dispensers, urinals and toilets.
- All cooking oils that are used in the center’s eateries are recycled.
- Within our management office, we purchase eco-friendly office supplies and recycle whenever possible in the office and throughout the property – from supplies to using reclaimed water.
- We have worked to reduce any runoff from the upkeep of our exterior landscape and water at night to save where we can.
Leaders in corporate sustainability
At Macerich, while most of our business is focused on reaching new heights, in sustainability we are dedicated to reaching new lows. In fact, "Innovating to Zero" is our ambitious longer-term goal to generate zero energy waste and near zero emissions, zero water waste and zero landfill impact.
GRESB Green Star
2014 - 2017
20th among top 30 on-site generation
EPA Green Power Partnership
CDP Climate A List
2015 - 2017
#1 Ranking 2015 - 2017 GRESB Benchmark
N. American Retail Sector
NARIET Leader in the Light
2014 - 2017
First U.S. In-use Certified Building